Primate Safaris Uganda- Gorilla & Chimp trek: Rwenzori Expeditions
Primate Watching is the theme used by Primate Safari experiences the leading Safari operator in Uganda & Rwanda that offers primate trekking tours to various National Park tailored by a team of experts.
Where to visit for Primate Watching Safari
In Uganda , there are a number of destinations including National parks managed by Uganda Wildlife Authority and conservation forests under the Uganda forestry Authority.
- Bwindi Impenetrable National Park for Mountain Gorilla Trekking
- Mgahinga National Park for Mountain Gorillas & Golden Monkey Tracking
- Kibale Forest National Park for Chimpanzee watching
- Kalinzu Forest for Chimpanzee Watching
- Budongo forest for Chimpanzee Watching
- Kyambura George for Chimpanzee trekking
Uganda Safari experience or Primate Safaris tours in Uganda with a local Safari company? Find Uganda as the best destination for primate watching that include the Mountain Gorillas, Chimpanzees and Golden Monkey while on a combined Gorilla & Rwenzori Adventure.
Uganda Primate Safaris- Trips to Uganda
This Uganda Safari highlights gorilla trekking and chimpanzee trekking as the main activities. This trip will bring you face to face with these great apes in the middle of the rain forests Kibale forest National Park, Bwindi impenetrable forest National Park and Mgahinga National Park.
Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
Bwindi Impenetrable National Park derives its name from a word Mubwindi and means “a place full of darkness. Bwindi Impenetrable National Park is located at the edge of Uganda & Congo hence the closeness to Virunga Mountains and its a prime destination for gorilla trekking and nature walk
Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park, a prime Uganda safari destination with half of the world’s Mountain gorillas with all tour operators offering gorilla Safaris then us we offer gorilla habituation experiences in the wilderness of Bwindi after or before Rwenzori Climbing.
As the case for Rwenzori trekking , even last minute Gorilla trekking permits are available once you book with Rwenzori Expeditions for combined Rwenzori & Gorillas via the central circuit or the southern kilembe trail. Bwindi Impenetrable Forest is divided into different trail heads where gorilla trekking takes places and these are Buhoma, Ruhija, Rushaga, and Nkuringo however for unique gorilla habituation you must visit Rushaga sector.
Mgahinga National Park – Gorilla & Golden Monkey!
Mgahinga Gorilla National Park is the smallest park in Uganda covering an area of 33.7km2 located in the southwestern Uganda in Kisoro district. Found in the Virunga Mountains that makes the park adjoins Rwanda’s Volcano national park and the Democratic Republic of Congo’s Virunga national parks. Visit to Mgahinga National Park is different as it offers chance to visit the Mountains Gorillas , Golden Monkey and other small primates .
The Name of the park is derived from “Gahinga” the local word for piles of volcanic stones cleared from farmlands. Unlike Bwindi Impenetrable National Park , Mgahinga National Park has same vegetation cover like Volcanoes National Park & Virunga National Park.
When your planning the Gorilla trekking , your required to have secured the gorilla permit a day before or in advance to avoid issues of missing the gorilla trek in Uganda. Rwenzori Expeditions team advises you to book your Gorilla permit at least 3 months prior to secure gorilla trekking permit. We can handle last Minute gorilla trekking safaris to Uganda & Rwanda while on Primate Safari Tour.
Chimpanzee Safari Experience in Uganda
Chimpanzees are man’s closest relatives sharing about 98.7% of the DNA with man. They adapt to their environments over time developing tools for survival much like humans. You can spend an hour with these creatures in their natural habitat by visiting one of the areas where the trekking happens in Uganda. You will be able to follow them with your ranger guide to get great pictures and learn more about the chimps.
Chimpanzee watching Destinations in Uganda
- Kibale National Park is the primate capital of the world offering a large chimpanzee population with over 120 habituated chimps and 1400 in the forest. The success rate of locating chimps while trekking is about 95%. There are opportunities for Chimpanzee trekking twice each day morning session starts at 7 am and afternoon at 12 pm with as many as 6 groups tracking each day each with 6 individuals. The forest is home to about 13 different primates including; black & white colobus, red-tailed monkey, red colobus monkeys, and baboons.
- Kalinzu forest has about 40 Chimps habituated for visitors but the forest is home to over 300 individuals. The rate of Chimps sighting while on a trek is about 60% but the forest has a lot to offer in addition to the chimpanzee trekking. Enjoy the beautiful scenery and flowing streams while on this chimpanzee trekking safari. This trek is usually long and therefore requires one to be with good fitness levels.
- Budongo forest at the Kaniyo Pabidi section in Murchison falls national park offers a rewarding chimp trekking experience. The forest boasts of the largest population of Chimpanzees but only a few are habituated for tourism. Unlike Kibale where you need to book permits earlier, at Kaniyo Pabidi, you can inform the park rangers the day before your chimp trek.
- Kyambura gorge is a remarkable underground forest in the middle of the otherwise Savannah Park the famous Queen Elizabeth national park. The forest has few chimpanzees that are sometimes difficult to spot but the forest walk is rewarding and the views of the gorge from a look out are priceless. There are chances for one to come across Hippos and elephants as they look out for Chimps; and on rare occasions you could spot lions.
- For those with limited time you can visit Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary for an up-close experience with Chimpanzees. The sanctuary is 45 minutes from the Entebbe pier on Lake Victoria on a speed boat and 1.5 hours on a motorized traditional canoe.
Looking for Primate Tours in Uganda, we offer great journeys to the “Gorilla kingdom”, the home of mountain Gorillas in Bwindi NP & Mgahinga NP, also experiencing the chimpanzees in their natural home Kibale National Park and Mgahinga NP. A bucket list of adventure and one that lasts a lifetime, come create memories in Uganda with Primate Safari Experiences.
Virunga Mountains- Uganda, Rwanda & Congo
The Virunga Mountains have eight volcanoes and three of the conical peaks are in Uganda’s Mgahinga Gorilla national park. Muhabura is the highest at 4,127m – the name is translated ‘guide’ in the local language, they used it as a reference to give direction because it towered above everything else.
It has panoramic views of Uganda and Rwanda with a clear lake at its summit 36m wide. Gahinga at 3,474m is also the smallest of the Virunga volcanoes, its name is derived from the ‘piles of rock’ that are cleared from farmlands. It has a swamp-filled crater on the top that measures about 180m wide.
Finally, Sabyinyo at 3,669m is translated ‘old man’s teeth’ because of the deep gorges and ravines that dissect it. On the highest peak of Sabyinyo is where you find the intersection between Uganda, Rwanda, and Democratic Republic of Congo. You can take a hike to all these peaks in one day; you will be rewarded with magnificent views and great photographic moments.